Need a high-energy, low-cal snack that will see you through the mid-afternoon slump? Chef and nutritionist Zoe Bingley Pullin welcomes us into her kitchen and shows us how to create nutrition-dense, totally delicious protein balls that will have you bouncing off the walls. Who needs chocolate?
- 10 organic dried figs (diced, hard stalk removed)
- Organic dried dates
- ½ cup of Brazil nuts
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup cacoa or carob powder
- 1 cup of walnuts
- ½ Pepitas (sunflower seeds)
- ½ cup of macadamias
- 4 - 5 Cacao beans
- 1 cup LSA powder (linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds)
- ½ cup fresh organic raspberries
- Add all the protein mix ingredients except for the cacao or carob powder to a blender and blend on high.
- Add the cacao powder separately a little bit at a time until the mix takes on a doughy consistency.
- Remove mixture from the blender. Take a small handful of the protein mix (about half a golf ball size) and make a boat shape with your hands.
- Insert a raspberry into the centre and then generously cover with more protein mixture to create the other half.
- Roll it the mixture in your hands to form a ball to roughly a golf ball size.
- Roll the balls into a coating of LSA powder to cover and they're ready to enjoy.