We’re all guilty of it. Whether it’s lounging poolside for hours on end or surf-soaked summers that leave everything north of the shoulders looking and feeling a little drab. The Rastafarian results of hair neglect will leave you clamoring for your tangle teaser for the better part of an hour or worse, the scissors! So, in a bid to keep you in the good (and not-so-brassy books) with your colourist take note of these insider tips and tricks that’ll help you avoid the panic-chop. From the supplements supreme, crèmes du jour to the makeshift masks you can whip up in minutes the beauty magnates, bloggers and super-mod squad rescue remedies reveal all. Before all hope is lost, hair us out.
1. "What's the essential hair product that will revitalize a model's thirsty locks in 30 seconds flat, even at the end of Fashion Week? Split-end repair treatments packed with hydrating agents, which bring new life to dull hair without weighing it down." - Delphine Courteille, Hairstylist and Designer at Studio 34. For a serum that’s split-end serious, try L’Oreal Absolut Repair Cellular Serum. The light and travel-friendly 50mL spray is ideal for those mid-summer weekends away or if you’re bouncing from beach to bar. Pack light ladies.
2. “Sometimes I put coconut oil in my hair, just on the ends overnight. That’s a really good treatment. I once used olive oil, but coconut oil smells much better.” – Miranda Kerr, Supermodel and founder of KORA Cosmetics.
An organic makeshift hair masque is an easy and cost efficient alternative to a salon applied treatment. Be sure to use organic coconut oil like Indah Organics Hand Pressed Coconut Oil and a couple of tablespoons of organic honey. Generously apply to damp hair, comb in from roots to ends, sectioning your hair as you apply. Rinse out after 40 minutes or so. Mother Nature’s completely sin-free answer to the conventional hair masque.
3. Celebrity dermatologist Alexiades-Arkmenakas swears by NeoCells Super Collagen Powder, as a must-add to your early morning smoothie or daily juice, actively replenishing your tresses. “It provides all 19 amino acids plus two amino-acid derivatives that are used for collagen synthesis.” The bonus, supplements may also improve the fullness and appearance of your skin, beautifying from the inside out.
4. "Biotin is amazing for the hair and nails, I’m a firm believer in it." – Mark Townsend, Celebrity Hair Stylist. Biotin with Vitamin B complex is easily absorbed and a favourite amongst celebrities and beauty insiders. Jennifer Lawrence, Olivia Wilde, Drew Barrymore and top colourist Denis De Souza are all said to be loyal devotees. Try Futurebiotics Certified Organic Biotin 5000mcg from Sesbania Leaves, Vegetarian Tablets.
5. “Either way, I can tell you from my own personal experience over the years that both milk and bananas make my hair silky, smooth, and extra shiny.” – Crunchy Betty, Homemade Beauty Blogger. Now, the fact you can actually drink the leftovers should be enough of a sell, but if you need a little more convincing to smear mashed up bananas and dunk your hair in milk, consider the pros. Bananas are packed full of nutrients (namely folate and potassium) and have long sat at the top of the super-food chain before we’d even heard of holy kale. Whether you choose to use the over-ripe variety for a banana cake or beautification, this delicious recipe is well worth a read!
6. "[This is] the most stunning thing in the entire universe." says Topaz Page-Green, Model and founder of The Lunchbox Project of the Christophe Robin Cleansing Mask with Lemon. It’s a must for any beauty buff with a thing for seriously luxe hair-care. Dubbed the ‘Rolls Royce’ of hair products, this divine crème mask works best on highlighted or super sensitive hair and smells good enough to eat.
7. Leonor Greyl 'Huile de Palme' Pre-Shampoo Beautifying Oil. Undoubtedly a top-shelfer when it comes to post-summer drab recovery, this beautifying oil not only smells like summer in St Tropez, it nourishes the hair from deep within. Think of it as an investment for your tresses as opposed to a quick fix, formulated to pro-long your colour and protect your hair from sun damage. Use nothing more than a small coin-sized dab of this heavenly huile per application daily to avoid over greasing.
8. “Sometimes I’ll splurge on a conditioner, like the Moroccan Oil Hydrating Mask. I really love it, but you go through it so quickly!” – Rumi Neely, Blogger, Fashion Toast. Morrocanoil Weightless Hydrating Mask (For Fine Dry Hair) is a must for those dipping their toes in the ombre or balayage hair trend. It smells like summer but is light and lovely all year round.
Words by Ashley Ropati.